Get Cutting with Avid
Sydney - May 27 2017
- AFTRS Sydney
- May 27 2017 - May 27 2017
- Attendance Pattern
- 1 session, Saturday, 9.30am - 5.30pm
- Rebecca Edwards
- Course fee
- $320 / $288
This highly practical course will introduce you to the fundamentals of using Avid Media Composer, getting you up and running quickly in one day. It is most suitable for Post Producers or Production personnel who already work in the industry but are new to Avid and need to learn how to work the tools simply in one day, or for people who haven't used Avid for a while and need a refresher. Alternatively if you are not yet working in the industry but are aspiring to work in Post Production with Avid, this course can also get you started with the basics, learning from real world examples.
Please note, this is NOT a course for those wishing to learn the craft of editing
Course content includes:
• In a professional environment, how is media often organized in Avid, so you know where to find it
• How to create and organise your own folders and bins to house your own work
• How bin and sequence naming conventions in Avid can enhance communication between the producer and editor
• How to confidently play back multi-camera footage and listen to specific mics and view all or specific cameras
• How to create user settings to speed up and streamline your work
• How to create cut downs and assemblies, using basic editing skills
• Understanding and using the right timecode reference to locate specific footage, or when making notes or communicating with your editor
• How to create titles and use locators in Avid to create references for yourself, rather than keeping endless paper notes
No editing experience necessary for this course, but a familiarity with the Mac interface will be an advantage.
Feedback from previous students:
There was a good balance of theory/technical information and hands-on practical time.Rebecca was an excellent… teacher who created an encouraging atmosphere and keep the content moving at a speed which was sensitive to the skillbase of all participants.
About the Course Lecturer: Rebecca Edwards
Rebecca Edwards is a highly experienced Online Editor and Colourist and an Avid Certified Instructor (ACI). She has credits on some of the industry’s biggest, and fastest turnaround TV formats for the Australian, UK and USA markets. She has worked in a diverse range of genres including reality TV, children’s TV, and documentary, making shows about a wide range of subjects from cooking to losing weight, and from serial killers to drunken monkeys. The location highlight of her career to date was when she worked on a fully catered TV show in the Costa Rican jungle.
In addition to television, she has credits on various short films, including one that was screened in competition at Cannes. Rebecca has a Graduate Diploma in TV Editing from the Australian Film Television and Radio School, a Graduate Diploma in Media Arts from UTS, a Post Graduate Certificate in Education from Goldsmiths College (London) and a Bachelor of Arts in Drama from Exeter University (UK). She is an Avid Certified Instructor and has been teaching Assistant Editor and Avid Courses at AFTRS for several years.
***DISCLAIMER*** AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If a participant wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 15 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations 14 days or less before course commencement will incur a fee. For more information on AFTRS Open's policies, including refund policies, please see our policies page
The Australian Film Television Radio and School would like to acknowledge the Traditional Owners, the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation, on whose land we meet, work, study and teach. We pay our respects to Elders past and present, and extend our respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people from all nations of this land.