John Collee: Writing for Hollywood
Sydney - Apr 17 2016
- AFTRS Sydney
- Apr 17 2016 - Apr 17 2016
- Attendance Pattern
- One day, Sunday, 10am to 5pm
- John Collee
- Course fee
- $165 / $148
'If screenwriting was easy, everyone would do it.'
In his renowned bi-annual one day Masterclass, novelist and screenwriter John Collee (Happy Feet, Master and Commander, Walking With Dinosaurs) will share what 20 years working for Hollywood has taught him about:
- Spotting a bad idea. Which stories work and why?
- Does my bum look big in this genre? Finding a style you're comfortable in
- The hero's over-familiar journey -- narrative structure and what it can't compensate for
- The art of the pitch - why you don't have a movie until you can tell it aloud
- Thought into action - getting your vision into words
- All writing is co-writing: the myth of the isolated artist
- What inventing a 'three-dimensional character' actually means
- Dialogue, its uses and abuses
- 'Sword-fighting ensues.' How to write action
- Do's and dont's of giving notes, taking notes and revising
- How to wrestle an octopus - the art of the rewrite
- Obsessional or professional? Knowing when the horse you're flogging has died...
If you're a beginner this course will stop you wasting precious time on projects that cannot possibly succeed.
If you're already an experienced writer this course will make you more productive.
If you're a producer this course will help you get the best out of writers.
And if you think your award-winning script is '80% finished' this course will persuade you that it's not.
About the tutor:
John Collee is a screenwriter and novelist whose eclectic swag of film credits includes the Oscar winning Happy Feet, Oscar nominated Master and Commander, the Charles Darwin biopic Creation, and the $80 million animated feature Walking With Dinosaurs.
His upcoming films include an ultra-low-budget indie project Taboo, written with Australian documentary makers in the wilds of Vanuatu, and the screenplay for Lee Tamahori's The Patriarch from a novel by Witi Ihimaera (author of Whale Rider).
Wolf Totem, a $30M Chinese epic which John co-wrote with director Jean Jacques Annaud, opens in France next month.
Check out John Collee: Interview about Writing for Hollywood on our Meet the Tutors page.
***DISCLAIMER*** AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If a participant wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 15 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations 14 days or less before course commencement will incur a penalty. For more information on AFTRS Open's policies, including refund policies, please see our policies page.