Radio Content & Program Director: Online
Online - Feb 27 2017
- AFTRS Open Online Courses
- Feb 27 2017 - Nov 05 2017
- Attendance Pattern
- 32 weeks, online, with 13 x 1 hour video chat sessions
- Fyona Smith
- Course fee
- $3200 / $2880
Study online with AFTRS Open from anywhere in country, provincial or metropolitan Australia!
This 32 week, online course is designed to develop students’ programming, management and leadership skills to a professional standard.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARNThis course provides a thorough understanding of the role of the Program and Content Director and the elements involved in commercial radio programming. The course helps students to identify and apply skills and knowledge within a workplace context. Students will explore the framework of managing programming campaigns and strategies from inception to completion and cover techniques for idea generation and implementation. You will learn everything you need to know to be become a successful content or program director including:
- CONTENT DESIGN - researching and understanding your audience, structuring the format and sound of your station and creating interesting, engaging content
- LEARNING AND LEADERSHIP - leadership vs management, learning styles, successful collaborative broadcasting and understanding codes and compliance
- BUILDING TEAMS, BRANDS AND EMPIRES - brand awareness and marketing, understanding what motivates people, harnessing talent and empire building
- TACTICAL PROGRAMMING - understanding the business of radio, show development and evolution, monitoring and maintenance and designing strategies for success
LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE
This course designed for experienced radio staff working in the commercial and community broadcasting sectors who want to step up to management, content and programming roles.
This online course is approximately 7.5 hours a week for 32 weeks across two semesters. At the end of Semester One there will be a residential at AFTRS in Sydney.
Semester One is February 27 to June 23, 2017
Semester Two is July 17 to November 3, 2017
There will be regular fortnightly Zoom video-conference sessions held across the progression of the course. Dates and times will be advised in the class timetable, which will be emailed prior to the start of the course.
Courses will be confirmed once minimum numbers are reached. Confirmation to be provided to applicants at least one week ahead of scheduled start date.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
To participate in this course you MUST have a computer with an internet connection (broadband wired OR wireless 3G or 4G/LTE) and the ability to enable cookies within your web browser.
Mac Users: It is best to use Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox as your web browser.
PC Users: It is best to use Google Chrome or Explorer as your web browser.
The chat sessions use Zoom (video conferencing software), to which we provide a link for free download.
You must have the following to use Zoom:
- An internet connection - broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone - built in, USB, plug in or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam- built in, USB, plug in, or a HD camera or camcorder, with a video capture card
Any questions? Contact AFTRS Open anytime by email email@example.com or call 1300 065 281.
AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If a participant wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 15 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations 14 days or less before course commencement will incur a fee. For more information on AFTRS Open's policies, including refund policies, please see our policies page
The Australian Film Television Radio and School would like to acknowledge the Traditional Owners, the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation, on whose land we meet, work, study and teach. We pay our respects to Elders past and present, and extend our respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people from all nations of this land.