Student Handbook

5. ASSESSMENT

5.1 ASSESSMENT

Assessment is an ongoing process, which occurs both formally and informally. It aims to help you learn more effectively to achieve the learning outcomes of a subject and identify areas of misunderstanding and learning difficulties as soon as possible.

Assignments are aligned with subject content to assist your teachers in determining your progress in achieving the intended learning outcomes of the course.

The details of all assignments are contained in your Subject or Course Outlines along with the due date and the marking criteria. Marking criteria are provided to help you understand what is required from each assignment and clarify what is required to achieve each grade level.

5.1.1 SUBMISSION OF ASSIGNMENTS

Assignments must be submitted through Moodle or otherwise as indicated in the Subject or Course Outline, by the specified due date.

All written assignments must be formatted in accordance with the AFTRS’ written assessment formatting guidelines and must be submitted with a signed AFTRS’ cover sheet when requested.

Assignments will be marked and formal feedback provided within three weeks of submission. Additional oral feedback from lecturers may be available on request.

Assignment marks and formal feedback are available in Moodle for the duration of the semester of delivery. Your subject marks are stored as part of your permanent student record and can be viewed on your myaftrs portal while you are enrolled and accessed from the Student Centre after graduation by request.

5.1.2 MARKING SCHEME

Assessment results are recorded as grades on a student record. The codes are as follows:

GUIDELINE

CODE

GRADE

High DistinctionHD85-100%
DistinctionD75-54%
CreditC65-74%
PassP50-64%
FailF0-49%
Non-Graded PassNGPParticipation and professional conduct
Conceded PassCPA performance below that normally required for a pass. May be granted provided that the overall course performance is considered to warrant such a concession. This will be recorded as 49% for purposes of calculating WAM.
Credit GrantedCGCredit granted in the BA where a student has previously completed the History of Film subject (2015 intake only), or subjects considered equivalent under course transition arrangements (2016 intake only).
5.1.3 EXTENSION REQUESTS

If you need an extension for up to five days after your assignment’s due date, you may apply to your Subject or Course Lecturer for an extension by completing an electronic Request for an Extension form on Moodle. This must be requested at least two working days prior to the due date. If you require a longer extension, you will be required to supply evidence relating to the circumstances that have prevented you from submitting on time - contact the Student Centre for details.

5.1.4 LATE SUBMISSION PENALTIES

If you do not have approval for an extension, and you submit your assignment after the due date, a ten per cent (10%) penalty applies per day for the first five days after the due date (including Saturdays and Sundays). Assignments submitted after this period will not be accepted and will receive a zero mark.

If you have been granted an extension, and submit your assignment after the revised due date, the same penalties will apply.

If you have been granted Special Consideration, your Course Leader/Lecturer will discuss with you the best path to proceed in regards to submitting assignments. The intent of this discussion is to provide the opportunity to accommodate the impact of the relevant life event, and to allow you to be assessed within a context of ensuring academic achievement.

Late penalties do not apply to assignment resubmissions: these must be submitted by the specified due date or a mark of zero will be recorded.

5.1.5 WEIGHTED AVERAGE MARK

Weighted Average Mark is to be used by the School for purposes such as articulation into AFTRS postgraduate programs.  

For students in the Bachelor of Arts, Weighted Average Mark (WAM) is loaded towards grades received in later years of study: marks received in first year are not included in the calculation, marks received in second year are weighted by credit point at 40% of total WAM, with marks received in third year weighted by credit point at the remaining 60% of the total.

Fail grades and conceded passes are included in this calculation as a mark of 49%, and non-graded passes are not included.

Acknowledgement

The Australian Film Television Radio and School would like to acknowledge the Traditional Owners, the Bidjigal people and Gadigal people of the Eora Nation, on whose land we meet, work, study and teach. We pay our respects to Elders past and present, and extend our respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people from all nations of this land.