Intro to the TV Industry
Sydney - Oct 16 2016
- AFTRS Sydney
- Oct 16 2016 - Oct 16 2016
- Attendance Pattern
- one Day, Sunday 9.30 - 5.00
- Wendy Gray
- Course fee
- $150 / $135
Are you interested in working in the Television Industry in Australia, but not sure what roles might suit you? Perhaps you’ve just completed a degree, or feel the need for a career change?
This one-day seminar will give you a good insight into the structure of the TV Industry today, and explain the different production models and jobs within the industry. You’ll get some hints for “where to start” and “how to progress” your career.
Topics covered will include:
• Genres of TV and how they are made: News and Current Affairs, Sport, Documentary, magazine, Reality, Lifestyle, Drama, Comedy, Children’s and Entertainment.
• Size and Structure of the Industry and how it’s funded: the difference between public and commercial broadcasters and subscription TV, and who are the major Production companies
• Who does what on which production: crew roles explained, and the skills required for the job
• How a TV studio works and about Outside Broadcasts
• What are the other important non-production roles in TV? Promos, Traffic, Scheduling, Presentation, Development, Marketing and more.
• How long do TV shows take to make and how much do they cost?
• Why are the shows that are on air at the moment being made? Why are TV schedules so important?
• How is the TV world embracing Social Media and Cross Media?
• How to know what is going to suit you and how do I get a “foot in the door”?
This course will demystify the world of TV and hopefully answer many of the questions you may have about this exciting area of the media.
This course is open to anyone 16 years and over. However anyone under 18 will need to return a completed consent form prior to course commencement.
Quotes from previous Introduction to Television students:
"We got so much information in one day. I feel like I learned more information that was relevant to what I want to do in one day than I have in 2 years of University. I would like to do more AFTRS courses as they are fantastic facilities"
"Well run and informative. Approachable and addressed questions. Gave me a better understanding of the industry".
Course Lecturer: Wendy Gray
Wendy Gray is the Head of AFTRS Open, and has run the TV Unit for the last three years. Prior to joining AFTRS Wendy worked in the TV industry for twenty years, including 12 years with ABCTV.
***DISCLAIMER*** AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If a participant wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 15 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations 14 days or less before course commencement will incur a fee. For more information on AFTRS Open's policies, including refund policies, please see our policies page