Writing for Hollywood: John Collee
There are currently no classes scheduled for this course. Register your interest to be notified when the next suitable class becomes available. Register your interest
'If screenwriting was easy, everyone would do it.'
In his renowned bi-annual one day Masterclass, novelist and screenwriter John Collee (Happy Feet, Master and Commander, Walking With Dinosaurs) will share what 20 years working for Hollywood has taught him about:
- Spotting a bad idea. Which stories work and why?
- Does my bum look big in this genre? Finding a style you're comfortable in
- The hero's over-familiar journey -- narrative structure and what it can't compensate for
- The art of the pitch - why you don't have a movie until you can tell it aloud
- Thought into action - getting your vision into words
- All writing is co-writing: the myth of the isolated artist
- What inventing a 'three-dimensional character' actually means
- Dialogue, its uses and abuses
- 'Sword-fighting ensues.' How to write action
- Do's and dont's of giving notes, taking notes and revising
- How to wrestle an octopus - the art of the rewrite
- Obsessional or professional? Knowing when the horse you're flogging has died...
If you're a beginner this course will stop you wasting precious time on projects that cannot possibly succeed.
If you're already an experienced writer this course will make you more productive.
If you're a producer this course will help you get the best out of writers.
And if you think your award-winning script is '80% finished' this course will persuade you that it's not.
About the tutor:
John Collee is a screenwriter and novelist whose eclectic swag of film credits includes the Oscar winning Happy Feet, Oscar nominated Master and Commander, the Charles Darwin biopic Creation, and the $80 million animated feature Walking With Dinosaurs.
His upcoming films include an ultra-low-budget indie project Taboo, written with Australian documentary makers in the wilds of Vanuatu, and the screenplay for Lee Tamahori's The Patriarch from a novel by Witi Ihimaera (author of Whale Rider).
Wolf Totem, a $30M Chinese epic which John co-wrote with director Jean Jacques Annaud, opens in France next month.
Check out John Collee: Interview about Writing for Hollywood on our Meet the Tutors page.
Feeback from past students:
"John's insights into story structure, plots & his own experience were fantastic, practically applicable & inspiring. A great masterclass. Thank you."
"I absolutely loved this session. Brilliant speaker. The best course I've ever done - and that's saying something because I've done a lot."
"As a total beginner starting in writing, I found this an extremely valuable experience."
"Excellent course, John was an amazing speaker."
"Great! Loved it! Will be back."
***DISCLAIMER*** AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If a participant wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 15 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations 14 days or less before course commencement will incur a fee. For more information on AFTRS Open's policies, including refund policies, please see our policies page.