Become an Assistant Director
Learn the fundamentals of being an Assistant Director in this two-day course led by Industry expert 1st Assistant Director Liam Branagan. You’ll also have the opportunity to meet other industry professionals in key production roles. This is the only Assistant Director’s course in Australia approved by the Australian Director’s Guild (ADG).
Covers pre-production, developing a shooting schedule and utilising Movie Magic scheduling software
Explores the responsibilities of the Assistant Director including resource efficiency, workflow management and OH&S
Learn about the challenges of coordinating a film set and the nitty-gritty, day-to-day stuff you need to know to be a great 2nd or 3rd AD
Is Assistant Directing Fundamentals right for you?
This course is designed for those with some on-set or production office experience. If you are keen to work in Production, with a view to eventually being a Director, Producer or First AD in TV or film you’ll gain valuable knowledge and skills.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- An understanding of the role of 1st AD, including breaking down and scheduling a film, and coordinating a set.
- The different responsibilities of the 2nd AD and 3rd AD covering pre-production and production responsibilities, including managing actors, liaising with all departments, and information dissemination.
What you will need
This course is designed for those with some on-set experience, either amateur or professional. This course is only open to students aged 18 +.
Currently, AFTRS is in the Orange Zone of the AFTRS COVID-Safe Roadmap.
This means the requirements for all staff and students coming into the AFTRS building are as follows:
- Proof of full vaccination (or a certified medical exemption plus a negative COVID test within 72 hrs before entry)
- Service NSW QR Code Check-in & AFTRS QR Code check-in
- Mandatory Mask wearing in all public spaces, teaching rooms & workspaces
- Maintain 1.5 meters physical distance at all times
- Anyone who has been interstate from NSW in the last 7 days needs to present a negative COVID test within 72 hrs of entry
- Anyone who has a ‘Red Warning’ in Service NSW App from potential contact with a positive COVID case in the last 7 days needs to present a negative test since that date at entry
You will not be permitted entry if you fail to comply with any of the above, if you are awaiting the results of a COVID test, are a close contact, or are unwell and presenting any symptoms.
All students participating in face-to-face courses are required to adhere to the AFTRS COVID-Safe Requirements as directed by AFTRS.
AFTRS reserves the right to update or amend AFTRS’ COVID-Safe Requirements at any time for any reason.
AFTRS reserves the right to suspend any student from a face-to-face course for any failure to adhere to the AFTRS COVID-Safe Requirements.
Any student from a face-to-face course suspended due to a failure to adhere to the AFTRS COVID-Safe Requirements will not be eligible for any partial or full course fee refund.
Read more about AFTRS’ COVID-Safe protocols here.
To find out about future offerings of this course, register your interest. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 223 877.
This course is for students aged 18+ only.
If a student wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 15 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations 14 days or less before course commencement will incur a penalty.
AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled by AFTRS prior to commencement a 100% refund or credit note of the course fees paid will be provided.
Should AFTRS need to cancel a course after commencement, but before its completion, reasonable efforts will be made to reschedule. If rescheduling is not feasible, it is at AFTRS sole discretion to issue either full or partial credit notes depending on the circumstances.
AFTRS will make every effort to ensure the scheduled run of any course.
If you are planning to travel to attend a course, please confirm with AFTRS that the course is confirmed before you make your travel bookings. This decision is dependent on course enrolments meeting minimum numbers. AFTRS is not liable for any travel or accommodation costs incurred through course cancellation at any time for any reason.
Find out more information about discounts and refunds here.
Stay updated on all upcoming courses, news & events.