These policies relate to short courses, school holiday courses and Industry Certificates.
COVID 19 pandemic update
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, AFTRS is putting in place precautionary measures to ensure the health and safety of our community.
We understand that during this period, when the situation is changing day by day, your circumstances and capacity to study, in person or remotely, may be affected and so please contact our Short Courses team at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your particular needs and concerns.
If an applicant wishes to cancel their enrolment for a short course or industry certificate due to changing circumstances, they must do so in writing by email to email@example.com as soon as possible.
AFTRS will refund all or part of an applicant’s fees in the following circumstances:
15 days or more prior to course commencement
A 100% refund will be provided to applicants withdrawing from a course 15 days or more prior to course commencement.
Between 24 hours and 14 Days Prior to Course Commencement
Should an applicant withdraw from a course during this period they will be entitled to a 50% refund of the total course cost.
24 hours or less from Course Commencement
No refund is available for withdrawal 24 hours or less from course commencement, or after the course has commenced.
All requests to cancel your enrolment, will be based upon the enrolment closing date for each course, and not the first session or class, if they are different dates.
In very exceptional circumstances, a refund may be provided within these timeframes, at the discretion of the Divisional Director. Please note, exceptional circumstances do not include changing work arrangements.
AFTRS short courses and industry certificates are confirmed when minimum enrolment numbers are reached and we then make various financial commitments to lecturers and other costs. Where a refund is sought within two weeks before a course commencing, or on the day of a course, costs for running the course have already been incurred and other potential course participants may have been turned away.
Transfers and substitutions
AFTRS does not offer transfers between courses within the 15 days or less cancellation period. We do allow substitutions (i.e. another individual can take your place) if we are notified of the change before course commencement.
Cancellation of course by AFTRS
AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled by AFTRS a full refund of the course fees paid, will be provided.
If you are planning to travel to attend a course, please confirm with AFTRS that the course is confirmed before you make your travel bookings. This decision is dependent on course enrolments meeting minimum numbers. AFTRS is not liable for any travel or accommodation costs incurred through course cancellation.
Early Bird Discount
AFTRS offers a 10% discount off the course price on short courses and Industry Certificates for applicants paying 28 days or more in advance of the course commencement.
A 20% discount off the course price is available on Short Courses (excluding School Holiday Courses) and Industry Certificates to all Australian screen and broadcast practitioners or organisations regardless of platform, formats and form including film, TV, radio, web series, branded, and digital content.
AFTRS Staff and Student Discount
AFTRS staff (fixed term and ongoing) and AFTRS students (award courses), and any of their immediate family members, are entitled to a 20% discount on the industry price for Industry Short Courses and Industry Certificates, and the standard course price for Introductory Short Courses and School Holiday Courses.
AFTRS Alumni Discount
AFTRS alumni (graduates of our awards courses) are entitled to a 20% discount off the industry price on all Industry Short Courses and Industry Certificates, and 20% off the standard course price for Introductory Short Courses. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your alumni promo code.
Short course subsidies
At its discretion, AFTRS will make subsidised position(s) available to Indigenous Australians to attend an AFTRS short course. Once your application is approved you are then to contact us on 1300 223 877 to arrange payment of 50% to secure your place in the course. Individuals are able to receive one subsidy per financial year.
To be eligible for assistance, applicants must address the following criteria:
- Identify and be accepted by their community as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person.
- Have relevant industry knowledge, experience and a commitment to using knowledge gained in the course in the future.
- Be 17 years or older
- Not currently enrolled as a full-time student at AFTRS
- The offer of a subsidised position on a short course is solely at the discretion of AFTRS. AFTRS will not provide any reasons pertaining to these decisions.
- AFTRS reserves the right not to accept applicants into its short courses.
- AFTRS reserves the right to cancel short courses at short notice.
- A position(s) offered for a short course is contingent on the AFTRS course running.
- If the short course is deemed full prior to an application being received AFTRS will be unable to process the application. AFTRS will advise the applicant of proposed future relevant course dates for which the applicant may apply.
Gift certificates can be used on any AFTRS short course or industry certificate (provided there are spaces available).
Gift certificates are available for any amount over $50.00. To purchase call us on 1300 223 877 or email email@example.com
Industry certificate guidelines
Non-AQF Award Courses – Industry Certificate courses
1.1. Industry Certificates are non-AQF courses of the AFTRS which provide specialist skills and knowledge in craft technical skills, professional development or an industry employment area.
1.2. Industry Certificate courses consist of 6 or 12 credit points of study (0.25 or 0.5 EFTSL, equivalent to 60-120 hrs of contact hours) unless otherwise approved by the Industry Advisory Panels.
1.3. There is no entry requirement for an Industry Certificate course.
1.4. Industry Certificates are not eligible for FEE-HELP.
Course of Study Rules
2.1. Industry Certificates have an assessment process that validates a student’s achievement of learning outcomes. Assessment processes are developed on a course by course basis designed against learning outcomes and communicated to enrolled students in the Course Outline accessible through Moodle.
2.2. Due to Industry Certificates being non-Award programs census dates do not apply.
2.3. Students are expected to behave in a professional manner in accordance with professional practice expectations of industry, including attendance and the assessment due dates.
Entry and Assessment
There are no formal entry requirements for an Industry Certificate course, however, applicants must be over 18. In order to be awarded an Industry Certificate, you must successfully complete the assessment tasks which are designed to validate a student’s achievement of the stated learning outcomes. Assessment processes are developed on a course by course basis designed against learning outcomes and communicated to enrolled students in the course outline.
Fees, Payment Plans and Discounts
Industry Certificates are offered at the full-price and industry rates. Early Bird discounts (10%) are available on both of these pricing levels for enrolments made 28 days or more before the enrolment closing date. Industry Certificates are not eligible for FEE-HELP, and all cancellation and refund policies relevant to short courses apply to certificates.
Payment Plans are available for Industry Certificates. Payment plans provide the opportunity to make 4 x 25% payments towards the course cost. Dates for payment will be connected to course duration. For example for a 12-week course the payment plan would be:
25% to confirm enrolment in the course
25% due 14 days from the beginning of the course
25% due by the end of week 3 of the course
25% due by the end of week 6 of the course
Note: If enrolment happens between 14 – 1 day before course commencement, 50% payment will be required to confirm enrolment.
School holiday consent form
A consent form is required for all students under 18 enrolled in a school holiday course. Please note, a student must have a signed consent form completed and returned to AFTRS before the course commences otherwise they cannot participate in the course.
Scan or take photo of pages 3 and 4 of the consent form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If there any medical issues that we need to be aware of, please call the AFTRS team on 1300 223 877.
Under 18 Policy
Unless specifically offered under our school holiday or schools programs, AFTRS short courses are developed to suit an adult market (over 18). In the instance where a person or persons under the age of 18 wish to attend an adult course the following conditions and considerations will apply:
- Applicants under 18 years of age will not be permitted to attend a course if the content is not suitable for their age according to Australian Film Classification Guidelines.
- If media content meets film classification guidelines, permission to attend is at the sole discretion of the Director of Development and Partnerships in consultation with the lecturer/tutor.
- Where the content is suitable and permission is granted by theDirector of Development and Partnerships, AFTRS requires the following; A signed parent/guardian/ Under 18 Consent Form for an Adult Course, returned by fax or mail to AFTRS prior to course commencement.
- Parents/guardians/carers should be aware that AFTRS is unable to offer the level of care provided in the school holiday and schools programs. For example, those attending will not be supervised during breaks, and their arrivals, departures and attendance will not be monitored.
- Lecturers presenting AFTRS short courses, with a person or persons under the age of 18 attending, must have a Working With Children (or equivalent) check that meets the legal requirements of the State or Territory in which they are teaching, unless an AFTRS staff member with a Working With Children (or equivalent) check is in the room at all times, or the course is delivered online.
- Those under 18 year olds seeking to attend an adult course should have their parent/guardian/carer contact us at least 1 week prior to course commencement. Emails should be marked to the attention of theDirector of Development and Partnerships.