These policies relate to short courses and industry certificates.
If a student wishes to cancel their enrolment for a short course or industry certificate due to changing circumstances, they must do so in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
AFTRS short courses and industry certificates are confirmed when minimum enrolment numbers are reached, and we then make various financial commitments to lecturers and other costs. Where a refund is sought within two weeks before a course commencing, or after a course commencing, costs for running the course have already been incurred and other potential course participants may have been turned away.
AFTRS will refund or issue a credit note of all or part of a student’s fees in the following circumstances:
15 DAYS OR MORE PRIOR TO COURSE COMMENCEMENT
A 100% refund of course fees paid will be provided to students withdrawing from a course 15 days or more prior to course commencement.
14 DAYS OR LESS PRIOR TO COURSE COMMENCEMENT
An option of either 100% credit note or 50% refund of course fees paid will be provided to students withdrawing from a course 14 days or less prior to course commencement.
AFTER COURSE COMMENCEMENT
No refund or credit note will be provided to students withdrawing from a course after course commencement.
In exceptional circumstances, a student may request consideration for either a full or partial credit note or refund. Approval of any credit notes or refund for exceptional circumstances is solely at the discretion of AFTRS. These circumstances must be communicated in writing in a timely manner. Any request for exceptional circumstances should be able to be supported by documentation. AFTRS may request this documentation.
Exceptional circumstances are ones in which the student’s ability to complete the course is unexpectedly directly impacted.
Please note, exceptional circumstances do not include changing work arrangements or change of mind.
Transfers and substitutions
AFTRS does not offer transfers between courses after course commencement. AFTRS can only offer transfers to other courses currently open for enrolments, and any difference in cost is to be covered by the student.
We do allow substitutions (i.e. another individual can take your place) if we are notified in writing of the change before course commencement.
Cancellation of course by AFTRS
AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled by AFTRS prior to commencement a 100% refund or credit note of the course fees paid will be provided.
Should AFTRS need to cancel a course after commencement, but before its completion, reasonable efforts will be made to reschedule. If rescheduling is not feasible, it is at AFTRS sole discretion to issue either full or partial credit notes depending on the circumstances.
AFTRS will make every effort to ensure the scheduled run of any course.
IF TRAVELLING TO ATTEND A COURSE
If you are planning to travel to attend a course, please confirm with AFTRS that the course is confirmed before you make your travel bookings. This decision is dependent on course enrolments meeting minimum numbers. AFTRS is not liable for any travel or accommodation costs incurred through course cancellation at any time for any reason.
AFTRS will only issue credit notes to the individual who paid for the course, however, that individual can use the credit note to enrol any other individual. A credit note is valid for 12 months from the date it is issued and can be used to re-enrol in any AFTRS Short Course or Industry Certificate and does not need to be used all in one transaction. A credit note cannot be exchanged for a refund.
Early Bird Discount
AFTRS offers a 10% discount off the course price of Short Courses and Industry Certificates for applicants paying 14 days or more in advance of the course commencement.
AFTRS Staff and Student Discount
AFTRS staff (fixed term and ongoing) and AFTRS students (award courses), and any of their immediate family members, are entitled to a 30% discount off the standard course price of all Short Courses, and Industry Certificates.
AFTRS Alumni Discount
AFTRS alumni (graduates of our awards courses) are entitled to a 30% discount off the standard course price of all AFTRS Short Courses and Industry Certificates. Contact us at email@example.com to get your alumni promo code.
Short course subsidies
At its discretion, AFTRS will make subsidised position(s) available to Indigenous Australians to attend an AFTRS short course. Once your application is approved you are then to contact us on 1300 223 877 to arrange payment of 50% to secure your place in the course. Individuals are able to receive one subsidy per financial year.
To be eligible for assistance, applicants must address the following criteria:
- Identify and be accepted by their community as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person.
- Have relevant industry knowledge, experience and a commitment to using knowledge gained in the course in the future.
- Be 17 years or older
- Not currently enrolled as a full-time student at AFTRS
- The offer of a subsidised position on a short course is solely at the discretion of AFTRS. AFTRS will not provide any reasons pertaining to these decisions.
- AFTRS reserves the right not to accept applicants into its short courses.
- AFTRS reserves the right to cancel short courses at short notice.
- A position(s) offered for a short course is contingent on the AFTRS course running.
- If the short course is deemed full prior to an application being received AFTRS will be unable to process the application. AFTRS will advise the applicant of proposed future relevant course dates for which the applicant may apply.
Gift certificates can be used on any AFTRS short course or industry certificate (provided there are spaces available).
Gift certificates are available for any amount over $50.00. To purchase call us on 1300 223 877 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Industry certificate guidelines
Non-AQF Award Courses – Industry Certificate courses
1.1. Industry Certificates are non-AQF courses of the AFTRS which provide specialist skills and knowledge in craft technical skills, professional development or an industry employment area.
1.2. Industry Certificate courses consist of 6 or 12 credit points of study (0.25 or 0.5 EFTSL, equivalent to 60-120 hrs of contact hours) unless otherwise approved by the Industry Advisory Panels.
1.3. There is no entry requirement for an Industry Certificate course.
1.4. Industry Certificates are not eligible for FEE-HELP.
Course of Study Rules
2.1. Industry Certificates have an assessment process that validates a student’s achievement of learning outcomes. Assessment processes are developed on a course by course basis designed against learning outcomes and communicated to enrolled students in the Course Outline accessible through Moodle.
2.2. Due to Industry Certificates being non-Award programs census dates do not apply.
2.3. Students are expected to behave in a professional manner in accordance with professional practice expectations of industry, including attendance and the assessment due dates.
Entry and Assessment
There are no formal entry requirements for an Industry Certificate course, however, applicants must be over 18. In order to be awarded an Industry Certificate, you must successfully complete the assessment tasks which are designed to validate a student’s achievement of the stated learning outcomes. Assessment processes are developed on a course by course basis designed against learning outcomes and communicated to enrolled students in the course outline.
Fees, Payment Plans and Discounts
Industry Certificates are offered at the full-price and industry rates. Early Bird discounts (10%) are available on both of these pricing levels for enrolments made 28 days or more before the enrolment closing date. Industry Certificates are not eligible for FEE-HELP, and all cancellation and refund policies relevant to short courses apply to certificates.
Payment Plans are available for Industry Certificates. Payment plans provide the opportunity to make 4 x 25% payments towards the course cost. Dates for payment will be connected to course duration. For example for a 12-week course the payment plan would be:
25% to confirm enrolment in the course
25% due 14 days from the beginning of the course
25% due by the end of week 3 of the course
25% due by the end of week 6 of the course
Note: If enrolment happens between 14 – 1 day before course commencement, 50% payment will be required to confirm enrolment.
Under 18 Policy
Unless specifically stated on the course webpage, AFTRS short courses are developed to suit an adult market (over 18). In the instance where a person or persons under the age of 18 wish to attend an adult course the following conditions and considerations will apply:
- Applicants under 18 years of age will not be permitted to attend a course if the content is not suitable for their age according to Australian Film Classification Guidelines.
- If media content meets film classification guidelines, permission to attend is at the sole discretion of the Director of Development and Partnerships in consultation with the lecturer/tutor.
- Where the content is suitable and permission is granted by the Director of Development and Partnerships, AFTRS requires the following; A signed parent/guardian/ Under 18 Consent Form for an Adult Course, returned by fax or mail to AFTRS prior to course commencement.
- Parents/guardians/carers should be aware that AFTRS is unable to offer the level of care provided in the school holiday and schools programs. For example, those attending will not be supervised during breaks, and their arrivals, departures and attendance will not be monitored.
- Lecturers presenting AFTRS short courses, with a person or persons under the age of 18 attending, must have a Working With Children (or equivalent) check that meets the legal requirements of the State or Territory in which they are teaching, unless an AFTRS staff member with a Working With Children (or equivalent) check is in the room at all times, or the course is delivered online.
- Those under 18 year olds seeking to attend an adult course should have their parent/guardian/carer contact us at least 1 week prior to course commencement. Emails should be marked to the attention of theDirector of Development and Partnerships.