Since its inception in 1973 as the national film, television and radio school, AFTRS has been empowering Australian storytelling talent.
We believe Australian storytelling is vital to building our cultural identity and connecting with one another. We see building the next generation of Australian talent and equipping our industry with relevant skills as essential to ensuring audiences continue to be enriched by Australian stories.
AFTRS is funded by the Federal Government to support the Australian media industry, and we value our close connection to industry which ensures we continue to offer courses that are both industry-relevant and forward-focussed.
AFTRS works closely with industry to find great placements, internships and jobs for our students. To find out how your company can work with us, read about Internships and Placements here.
AFTRS has close connections to industry through –
- State and Federal agencies and organisations including Screen Australia, Screen Canberra, Screen NSW, Film Victoria, Screen Queensland, Screenwest, South Australian Film Corporation (SAFC), Screen Tasmania and Screen Territory.
- Guilds and associations including Australian International Documentary Conference (AIDC), Australian Directors’ Guild (ADG), Australian Writers’ Guild (AWG), Australian Guild of Screen Composers (ASCG), Australian Screen Editors (ASE), Australian Production Design Guild (APDG), Australian Academy of Cinema and Televisions Arts (AACTAS), Australians in Film (AIF), Australian Screen Sound Guild (ASSG), Screen Producers Australia (SPA), Screenworks, Commercial Radio Australia (CRA) and the Community Broadcasting Association of Australia (CBAA).
- Networks and platforms including ABC, SBS, Viacom CBS, Nine Network, Seven Network, Netflix, Stan, Sky News, Discovery, Nat Geo, Southern Cross Austereo, Audible and Acast.
- Festivals including Antenna Documentary Film Festival, Sydney Film Festival, Melbourne Film Festival, Adelaide Film Festival, Persian Film Festival, Smartfone Flick Fest and Vivid.
- Production Companies including EndemolShine Australia, Fremantle, Matchbox Pictures, ITV Studios, Warner Bros International, Eureka Productions, Goalpost Pictures, Playmaker Media, Porchlight Films and Northern Pictures and many more.
AFTRS alumni work across the Australian industry and across the world. Find out more about our alumni here.