icon icon

International students

A still from 'I Am Emmanuel' | Dir. Genevieve Clay-Smith

AFTRS currently welcomes international students for the Master of Arts Screen course only.

For all course-related information about the Master of Arts Screen, please refer to the relevant course page.

You are considered an international student if you hold a permit for temporary entry to Australia. In order to be accepted into the Master of Arts Screen course as an international student, you must be aware of your obligations in relation to:

  • English proficiency
  • Visa conditions
  • Health insurance cover
  • Financial obligations

Please see the related sections below for additional information.

AFTRS only accepts applications from prospective international students who are 18 years of age or over. You must be 18 or over prior to the application closing date to be considered for admission into the course.

The Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS) is registered under The Australian Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) to provide courses to non-Australian citizens studying in Australia on student visas.

AFTRS complies with the requirements of the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000. Further information can be obtained on the ESOS legislative framework page from the Australian Government’s International Education website.

Additional information is available online about living and studying in Australia; please note that these are external websites that contain advice and information that is not directly affiliated with, or endorsed by AFTRS. AFTRS periodically reviews these links, and endeavours to offer up-to-date and relevant information to all applicants:

English Proficiency

All international applicants must possess a satisfactory level of English.

If English is not your first language, you must demonstrate English language proficiency before your admission can be confirmed.

AFTRS requires that such applicants undertake English proficiency testing via the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or an equivalent approved testing provider. You will be required to provide a copy of your IELTS or equivalent test results as part of the course application process.

For further information on IELTS testing, see the IELTS website.

Minimum English Language Proficiency Requirements

Minimum test scores exist for international applicants. For the Master of Arts Screen, the minimum requirement is an overall band score of IELTS 7.0 or equivalent.

English language proficiency test results must be valid within 2 years at time of submission of your application. You should retake the English proficiency test if you last took the test more than 2 years ago.

Student Visa

Student visa applications can only be made once you have received a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from AFTRS.

Once you have received a written offer from AFTRS, then paid your fees and arranged for your overseas health cover, AFTRS will issue you with a CoE. You can use this document to apply for a student visa with the Department of Home Affairs.

For more information about applying for a student visa, go to the Studying in Australia page on the Department of Home Affairs website.


All international students are expected to commence at AFTRS from Orientation Week. Further information regarding this will be in the Offer and Enrolment Guide you will get if you receive an offer.

Are You A Domestic Student?

You are an international student if you hold a permit for temporary entry to Australia. E.g. student visa.

You are NOT considered an international student if you are:

  • An Australian citizen, or
  • A New Zealand citizen, or
  • An Australian Permanent Resident, or
  • A Humanitarian visa holder

If you meet any of these criteria, you are considered a domestic student.

Health Cover

Overseas Health Insurance Cover (OSHC)

International student applicants must have Overseas Health Insurance Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their stay in Australia. If you have family members who will live with you in Australia, they must also be included in your health cover.

You will be required to arrange and provide a copy of your OSHC upon accepting your offer from AFTRS to study. OSHC is also a requirement in applying for your student visa.

Additional information on health cover requirements, including a list of approved OSHC health providers, is available from the Study In Australia website. OSHC exemptions exist for some countries.


All new international students must pay a tuition fee deposit, being the full first semester fee, upon being offered a place in the course and by the specified due date.

Existing international students will be required to pay for all future tuition fees up-front, prior to the commencement of each semester and in line with specified fee payment deadlines set by the organisation.

International students are not eligible for any Australian government student financial assistance.

Refer to the Fees page on this website for specific information on course tuition fees for international students.

Please also refer to AFTRS Fees Policy for specific information on international student fee refunds.

Cost of Living

Financial Capacity

Potential international students need to consider how they will support themselves financially in Australia, in the context of studying as a full-time student.

Living in Australia

As well as the costs associated with student visas, health cover and tuition fees, applicants should also understand the likely costs that will be incurred as part of life in Australia.

The Department of Home Affairs have financial obligations you must comply with. As a single student, you must be able to show that you have the financial capacity to cover living costs of at least $21,041 Australian dollars (AUD) per year. There are additional costs for extra family members.

Therefore, using this amount as a guide, a single student living away from home will require at least $1,573 AUD per month for accommodation, food, utilities and entertainment. Note: Actual costs will depend on your lifestyle choices and needs.

If you have a partner or spouse, you should allow an additional $7,362 AUD per year. For each child you have, you should allow an additional $3,152 AUD per year. Child school fees will also be in addition to this amount.

We recommend you have at least $2,000 AUD when you arrive to cover the initial costs of books, rental bond and furniture.

These figures do not include large household items (such as a refrigerator) or a car. We recommend that you use public transport, as owning a car can be expensive.

Information regarding life in Sydney including local medical practices, accommodation and legal advice can be found in AFTRS Orientation Guide.

For further information about the cost of living in Australia, see the Living Costs page on the Study In Australia website.

Translating documents

All documents written in a language other than English must be accompanied by a complete English translation.

AFTRS accepts translations from the following organisations:

Please note: each page of an authorised translation must bear the translator’s signature, the date translated and the translator’s accreditation details and/or the official stamp or seal of the translator’s accrediting organisation. Translations of official documents by a student are not accepted by AFTRS.