AFTRS ALUMNI ARE LEADING THE WAY
Since 1973, AFTRS has launched the careers of over four thousand film, television, radio and new media professionals. Over the past four decades, AFTRS graduates have received critical acclaim and have been nominated for and won a slew of prestigious gongs. Our screen practitioners have a haul of Academy Awards, AACTAs, BAFTAs, Golden Globes, Emmys and hundreds of guild prizes. And, our radio graduates are snapped up by Australia’s biggest broadcasters, often before they’ve completed their studies, and go on to have long and illustrious careers on and off the air.
Among our best and brightest alumni are directors Jane Campion, Gillian Armstrong, Chris Noonan, Rachel Perkins, Cate Shortland, Robert Connolly and Phillip Noyce; cinematographers Andrew Lesnie, Dion Beebe, John Brawley, Zoe White, Denson Baker and Warwick Thornton; screenwriters Rowan Woods, Jacquelin Perske, Michael Lucas, Tony Ayres; documentary makers Larissa Behrendt, Rebecca Barry, Christopher Nelius and Madeleine Hetheron-Miau; production designers Justine Seymour, Annie Beauchamp, Daran Fulham and Alex Holmes; editors Margaret Sixel, Nick Meyers, and Katie Flaxman; composers Matteo Zingales, Caitlin Yeo, and Antony Partos; producers Sue Maslin, Genevieve Clay-Smith, Chloe Rickard, Melanie Coombs and Paul Wiegard; animators Patrick Clair, Sandy Widyanata and Sejong Park; broadcasters Caroline Tran, Tim Blackwell, Pariya Taherzadah and Simon Marnie; sound designers Andrew Belletty, David White and Peter Grace.
AFTRS graduates swiftly rise to the top of their chosen fields and become the leaders of the screen and broadcast industries in Australia and abroad. While studying at AFTRS, our students learn from highly respected industry practitioners and form professional collaborations that often last well beyond graduation. To ensure that the experiences, skills and knowledge are passed on to the next generation of storytellers, our alumni are welcomed back to the School as heads of department, lecturers, mentors and keynote speakers.
- Visit the Alumni Showcase to get to know our graduates and keep up with their careers.
- Subscribe to the AFTRS Showcase on YouTube to watch Top Tips videos and Masterclasses featuring our alumni, staff and special guests, as well as student films and web series.
- Join the AFTRS Noticeboard on Facebook to discover or offer job opportunities and find new collaborators among the nearly 10,000 industry professionals who are active members of the group.
- Subscribe to the AFTRS newsletter to keep abreast of alumni and current student success stories, the waves they’re making in industry, and all the latest goings-on at the School.
- Follow AFTRS on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn, and tag us in your announcements (@aftrs) so we can share your news.
- Join the exclusive–to–alumni groups on Facebook and LinkedIn, where you can connect with your classmates, collaborate with other cohorts, celebrate successes, reminisce and start lively discussions about the future of the industry.
- Attend our regular industry events to catch up with classmates, preview films, participate in panel discussions, learn from masterclasses and network with industry peers.
- Visit the Alumni Program page to learn about exclusive offers, events and opportunities to network with peers.
- Send us an email and let us know what you’re doing post-AFTRS.