About Talent Camp
Talent Camp is a skills development program for creatives from diverse backgrounds, designed to provide opportunities for emerging storytellers to create new content and be employment ready for the screen sector.
Talent Camp 2019 is now open for submissions.
Eligibility criteria and application portals for each state are below.
Talent Camp happens in two stages. First the state camps, a five-day workshop in each capital city, with 12-15 participants, which focuses on story development, scripting, producing considerations and career pathways for short-form web series production. A national workshop takes place several months later, bringing together two emerging creatives from each state to fine-tune their state-based work. Read about the 2018 National Talent Camp participants and facilitators.
For questions contact email@example.com or 1300 065 281.
The workshops have been designed to include:
- One day on exploring and developing core narratives, themes and understanding story development
- One day on scripting considerations, working with short form and developing characters and narratives over episodes
- Two days to understand producing considerations, audience, platforms, and hear from recently produced online narrative content makers, and an opportunity to have one to one time with the makers
- One day on career pathways, and introduction to local industry leaders, screen agencies and production companies
On completion of Talent Camp participants will:
- Have a strong understanding and knowledge required to develop a story idea into a concept and script
- Have a strong understanding of how to identify audience, potential finance, distribution and production pathways for specific projects
- Have identified their strengths, weaknesses and next steps in their career pathway
- Be considered, on a case by case basis, for further talent development opportunities
This program is right for you if you have produced creative works, are passionate about storytelling and are interested in exploring a career in screen media, especially in online narrative content.
Talent Camp is a diversity and inclusion program. We encourage applicants with specific reference to cultural background, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, geographic disadvantage and socio-economic status. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander creatives are strongly encouraged to apply.
There is no workshop fee for participants. Funds will be made available to contribute to flight and accommodation costs for participants from rural or regional locations. Other access costs will be met on a needs basis.
For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 1300 065 281
You are encouraged to apply to Talent Camp if you:
- Are passionate about storytelling and have something to say
- Have produced creative works. This can be any type of creative work including screen, theatre, spoken word, podcasting, photography, YouTube, etc.
- Are interested in exploring a career in screen media, especially online narrative content
- Can clearly articulate how you will contribute to a more diverse and inclusive screen industry with reference to your cultural background, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, geographic disadvantage and/or socio-economic status
- Can commit to attending all five days of the workshop as scheduled
- Are 18+ years and are a resident in your state of application for at least six months (12 months for Victorian applications). Note: humanitarian visa holders are accepted
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander creatives are strongly encouraged to apply
The selection panel incorporating a representative from both the state screen agency and AFTRS will assess applications based on the following criteria:
- The applicant generates excitement about their creative potential; and
- The submitted story idea/s have the potential to generate fresh on-screen experiences for audiences
This is a competitive process so applications that best demonstrate these criteria will be supported. Please note, we do not offer feedback on applications, and all decisions are final.
How to apply
Submit a two page document in the following format:
- A one-page synopsis for a long or short form episodical web/tv series.
- A one-page statement on why you are passionate about telling these stories, your interest/goals in exploring a career in screen and your background/experiences that will contribute to a more diverse and inclusive screen sector.
Submit your current CV
- A two-page CV with weblinks to past creative works. This can be any type of creative work including theatre, spoken word, podcasting, photography, YouTube, screen, etc
- No scripts or other additional materials are to be submitted (Except Victorian applicants, who will be required to submit additional documentation. You will be contacted after submissions close on the 3rd of June with further information.)
Files types accepted are PDF, DOC and DOCX.
Applicants will be notified at least six weeks prior to the commencement of the workshop
To apply for Talent Camp, please click on the link below for the state you wish to apply for. This must be the state in which you currently reside.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE FRIDAY MIDNIGHT, 31 MAY 2019
Talent Camp is a multi-partner screen industry initiative made possible with the support of leading community cultural organisations: AFTRS, Screen Australia, Screen Queensland, Create NSW, Screen ACT, Film Victoria, Screen Tas, South Australian Film Corp, ScreenWest and Screen Territory.
Got a question? Contact us: email@example.com/1300 065 281.