icon icon

How to apply

Behind the scenes of 'Suburban Wildlife' | Dir. Imogen McCluskey | Photo: Naysan Baghai

Entry is by merit selection

AFTRS undergraduate and postgraduate courses are based on entry by merit selection.

  • Applicants for an AFTRS award course must satisfy admission requirements.
  • Each AFTRS award course has its own specific entry requirements.
  • Specific application tasks are to be completed as part of the selection process.

Citizenship or permanent residency requirement

In order to apply for an AFTRS award course you will need to be an:

  • Australian citizen, or
  • New Zealand citizen, or

have an:

  • Australian permanent resident non-humanitarian visa, or
  • Australian permanent resident humanitarian visa.

The School has limited places for international students in the Master of Arts Screen course.

What you need to do

Once you have clicked “apply now” on the relevant course you will need to:

  1. Answer all mandatory questions marked with an asterisk (*).
  2. Upload supporting documentation, which includes certified copies of your:
    a) Proof of citizenship/residency
    b) Highest educational qualification
  3. Upload specific application tasks relevant to the course for which you are applying.
  4. Agree to the terms and conditions at the end of the application.

You do not have to complete your application in one sitting. Save your application and log back in at any time prior to the closing date to pick up where you left off.

When uploading application tasks that are media/video files, please be patient as this can take some time.

If you require assistance, please contact the Admissions team on 1300 223 877 or at applications@aftrs.edu.au.

Certified copies

What are certified copies?

A certified copy is a copy of an original document which has been certified as being a true copy by an authorised person.

How to have a document certified

To have a document certified you should take the original to an authorised person. The person must then write on every page of the copy document:

“I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true copy of the original.”

The person should sign beneath each statement and provide their designation, for example, “Justice of the Peace”.

Who is authorised to certify a document?

Within Australia:

  • A Justice of the Peace with a registration number. Copies verified by Justice of the Peace without a registration number will not be accepted
  • An accountant – members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, or the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants, or the National Institute of Accountants, or the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or Registered Tax Agents
  • A member of the police force with the rank of sergeant or above
  • A barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
  • An Admissions or Student Services Officer at AFTRS
  • An Admissions or Student Services Officer at any Australian university, TAFE or higher education institution
  • A principal, deputy principal, assistant principal or delegate of an Australian high school, secondary college or primary school
  • A bank or credit union manager
  • A post office manager
  • A commissioner for declarations
  • A pharmacist


  • The official records department of the institution that originally issued the documents
  • An Australian embassy or consulate
  • A public notary office