TV Assistant Editor
Sydney - Jun 16 2017
- AFTRS Sydney
- Jun 16 2017 - Jun 18 2017
- Attendance Pattern
- 3 days, Sat - Mon, 9am - 5pm
- Rebecca Edwards
- Course fee
- $800 / $720
WE ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING A 2-DAY VERSION OF THIS COURSE. Click here for details of the 2 day course
The Australian TV industry is crying out for more trained and effective Assistant Editors. This 3-day, intensely practical course gives students a fast, but thorough, hands-on experience in the duties, technical skills and responsibilities of the Assistant Editor. No prior editing experience is required.
In this rapidly advancing technological industry the Assistant Editor role is no longer an apprenticeship in which to learn the craft of editing, but instead it is a highly precise and technical role which involves ingesting (importing), organising and preparing footage for editors to cut with. With a move away from tape-based formats (i.e. digibeta, DV and HDCam), and with the increase in the availability and use of cameras that record using tapeless formats, the skills, methods and knowledge requirements of the Assistant Editor are constantly evolving. Most large scale TV shows use multiple cameras to record the action, and along with all the boom and radio mics being used it is the Assistant Editor's job to not only sync all these sources together, but also to check for technical issues and keep all the footage well organised. It is an exciting role that requires a strong eye for detail, excellent problem-solving skills, good communication and a strong awareness of how to work effectively in a team.
The course contents includes:
• understanding the role and responsibilities of the Assistant Editor
• how the post production department is structured, and why the Assistant Editor role is so critical to the whole process
• multi-camera setups: a in-depth look at how to sync, group and fully prepare multi-camera sequences ready for editors to cut with (these are the skills that all companies are wanting)
• ingesting file based footage, and the differences between the 'offline' and 'online' phases of the editing process
• project management and data management: how and where to store all your cuts and all your raw footage
• managing multiple projects: how and where to organise music, graphics, sound effects, stock footage, and archival without getting in a mess
• some ideas on how to find work in a largely freelance world where jobs are rarely advertised
The course will be taught using Avid Media Composer, as this is the most commonly used application for film and television editing.
The course is unique in Australia and taught by a highly experienced Supervising Assistant Editor, Rebecca Edwards, whose credits include many large scale, fast turnaround reality formats such as ‘The Biggest Loser’, ‘Australia’s Next Top Model’, ‘Junior Masterchef’ and ‘Big Brother’.
Previous TV Assistant Editor students have said:
"Rebecca Edwards was a fantastic lecturer – very straight-talking, approachable and constantly communicating with us to make sure we were learning everything we wanted to."
"Excellent Course. It gave me a great insight into the world of post-production, as well as the role of the Edit Assist. It was also a great combination of theory and practical exercises. "
***DISCLAIMER*** AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time. In the event of a course being cancelled a full refund of course fees will be provided. If a participant wishes to withdraw from a course, they may do so up to 15 days before the course commences and get a full refund. Cancellations 14 days or less before course commencement will incur a fee. For more information on AFTRS Open's policies, including refund policies, please see our policies page
The Australian Film Television Radio and School would like to acknowledge the Traditional Owners, the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation, on whose land we meet, work, study and teach. We pay our respects to Elders past and present, and extend our respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people from all nations of this land.